Valohai estimates carbon emissions for executions.
The carbon emissions are calculated for scope 2 and 3.
- Scope 2: The electricity used by the computer for running that job.
- Scope 3: Emissions from manufacturing the computers divided by its estimated lifetime.
- Valohai estimates the emissions only for AWS instance. Support for Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud is being considered.
- Google Cloud compute is carbon neutral, but that only means that they compensate the emissions they cause.
- The blog post series by teads engineering from Benjamin Davy: https://medium.com/teads-engineering/estimating-aws-ec2-instances-power-consumption-c9745e347959
- Look at what the cloudcarbonfootprint project is doing https://www.cloudcarbonfootprint.org/
- You can check out Valohai Wattson which is a simple tool based on the teads dataset
- Read more about the Teads implementation at https://engineering.teads.com/sustainability/carbon-footprint-estimator-for-aws-instances/