Admin members can set environment variables on organization level. Moreover, it is possible to create groups of the environment variables and assign them to different projects. The advantage is that if several projects are using the same environment variables, there is no need to define them separately for each of them. This will make for example key rotation easier as it is stored in one place only.
Create environment variable groups
- Login to app.valohai.com
- Click on Hi, <username>! on the top right corner
- Select Manage <organization>
- Open the Environment Variables tab
- Choose a name for the environment variable group and click on the Create new environment variable group button.
- Choose the projects that have access to the environment variable group
- Write the environment variable name and value in the respective fields and save them by clicking on the Add button.
- To make the value a secret click on the checkbox under Secret
- Click on the Save button to save the changes made to the group
In the example below there are two environment variable groups, production and staging. The production group is used in projects fun-tensorflow and production whereas the staging group is used in a project called staging. Both groups have two environment variables, one that is marked as secret and one that has a public value.
Using the environment variable groups
The created environment variable groups will be visible under the project Env Variables tab as shown in the image below. Non-admin users can see them but they cannot change their values. Values for the secret environment variables will be hidden in the UI.